Due to rapidly changing circumstances in relation to government and public health advice for COVID-19, ABDO has made the difficult decision to cancel all planned ABDO regional CET face-to-face events with immediate effect until October.
We are aware many members rely on ABDO to support them in acquiring their mandatory minimum CET points, and that ABDO regional CET events form a large part of this. ABDO is committed in delivering the member benefit of the provision of sufficient CET to attain at least your minimum CET requirement over the CET cycle, with a full variety of competencies. Regular, monthly CET via distance learning article in Dispensing Optics and interactive CET via monthly webinars will continue to ensure the minimum annual requirement of 6 CET points can easily be obtained by ABDO members.
Through this period of national disruption ABDO has a number of CET options available for you to access online.
· Online Peer Discussion -we are scheduling regular small group, online peer discussions throughout the disruption period. Both dispensing based sessions and contact lens practitioner specific sessions are available. New sessions will be opening for booking each week and new topics will be added ongoing. All sessions are approved for 3 interactive CET points and the contact lens practitioner sessions will also count towards the peer discussion CET cycle requirement for contact lens opticians and optometrists. Visit the events page to book on to a session. Click here for Events
· Child Safeguarding – this Level 2 course has been designed for specifically for dispensing opticians and has been approved for 1 CET point. This online module can only be completed by ABDO members only. Click here for Safeguarding
· Dispensing Optics CET articles – once logged into your membership portal on the ABDO website, use the link on the left for CET Online. From here you will find our monthly articles and multiple choice questions and our recorded lectures. Click here for Member Login
· Recorded lectures – Now available alongside our Dispensing Optics CET articles in the CET online section of the membership portal. Click here for Member Login
· Webinars – We will continue to host our monthly interactive CET webinars. To book onto these please do so via the events page of the ABDO website. Please note you will be required to log in to book.
If you have any concerns about anything CET or are trying to re-register to the GOC please feel free to call the CET Team on 01206 734155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuing Education and Training
There is a statutory scheme for dispensing opticians and optometrists who wish to maintain registration with the General Optical Council. The scheme runs in three-year periods, and the current three-year period will end on 31 December 2021. All dispensing opticians and optometrists will have to gain 36 CET credits by December 2021, for continued registration.
For CET events visit the Events section of the ABDO website.