As we come to the close of 2020, we would like to remind you that the GOC have waived the expectation that all registrants obtain a minimum of 6 CET points per year for 2020. This means if you have been unable to complete a minimum of 6 CET points in 2020, there will be no recourse from the GOC.
We encourage all ABDO members to regularly take part in CET to ensure you are up to date in the broad scope of practice of your professional role. We recommend all members to regularly review your CET cycle progress on the MyGOC site and to review and update your Professional Development Plan as required.
We will continue to provide a variety of interactive and non-interactive CET online throughout 2021, including peer discussion for CLOs. Face-to-face CET will commence when it is safe to do so but it is not anticipated in the first six months of 2021.
ABDO is committed to deliver sufficient CET to attain at least your minimum CET requirement over the CET cycle, with a full variety of competencies. Regular, monthly CET via distance learning article in Dispensing Optics and interactive CET via monthly webinars will continue to ensure the minimum annual requirement of CET points can easily be obtained by ABDO members while face-to-face events are suspended.
ABDO has the following CET options available for you to access online.
· Online Peer Discussion -we are scheduling regular small group, online discussion based workshops. Both dispensing based sessions and contact lens practitioner specific sessions will be available. New sessions will be opening for booking regularly and new topics will be added ongoing. All sessions are approved for 3 interactive CET points and the contact lens practitioner sessions will also count towards the peer discussion CET cycle requirement for contact lens opticians and optometrists. Visit the Events page to book on to a session.
· Child Safeguarding – this Level 2 course has been designed for specifically for dispensing opticians and has been approved for 1 CET point. This online module can only be completed by ABDO members only.
· Dispensing Optics CET articles – once logged into your membership portal on the ABDO website, use the link on the dashboard for CET Online. From here you will find our monthly articles and multiple choice questions as well as our CET recorded lectures.
· Recorded lectures – Now available alongside our Dispensing Optics CET articles in the CET online section of the membership portal.
· Webinars – We will continue to host our monthly interactive CET webinars. To book onto these please do so via the events page. Please note you will be required to log in to book.
If you have any concerns about anything CET or are trying to re-register to the GOC please feel free to call the CPD Team on 01206 734155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We will let you know more about the resumption of face-to-face events in 2021 when we are able.
Continuing Education and Training
There is a statutory scheme for dispensing opticians and optometrists who wish to maintain registration with the General Optical Council. The scheme runs in three-year periods, and the current three-year period will end on 31 December 2021. All dispensing opticians and optometrists will have to gain 36 CET credits by December 2021, for continued registration.
For CET events visit the Events section of the ABDO website.