Grace Haine – Independent Practice Owner
- How long have you been a Dispensing Optician?
I have worked in optics 38 years. I qualified at 27.
- What made you decide to be a Dispensing Optician?
I started working as a Saturday girl in the practice I had been going to since the age of 7 and loved it – Maths and Art combined.
- What’s the best part of being a Dispensing Optician?
The best part of being a dispensing optician is allowing people to see the world better whilst ensuring they look fabulous!!
- Tell us about running an independent practice?
As to owning an independent practice – well it’s generally great as I get to deal with companies whose products are great, develop real working relationships with them, grow and develop my team members and we get to do some fun stuff like diving masks and stuff that some multiples don’t let you do.
- You are a member of the Dorset LOC, tell us more.
I’ve been on the LOC 5 years as a contractor – it allows me to know what is coming like any shared care schemes and get ready for them but also to hopefully to get more DO’s engaged in the procurement process and establishing a relationship with the local CCG.
- What advice would you give to someone thinking about training to be a dispensing optician?
As to becoming a DO – I love what I do – no day is exactly the same, flexible job for a woman to work around a family. BUT YOU MUST LIKE PEOPLE!!