The International Opticians Association (IOA) has opened applications for the 2021 IOA Silmo International Optician of the Year Award, which recognises the importance of the optician in the optical business.
IOA president, Fiona Anderson, said: “We are delighted to launch the IOA Silmo Optician of the Year Award again in 2021. The calibre of previous entrants and winners has been astonishing, and we hope this year continues to highlight the skills and talents of opticians from around the world.
“We eagerly await this year’s entrants and are excited to review the applications from outstanding opticians worldwide.”
As well as being able to demonstrate that they are a qualified dispensing optician in the country where they practise, the winner of the award will display the following attributes:
• Professionalism: the client is at the heart of their business and receives excellent care
• Excellent communication skills: both personally and via social media
• Entrepreneurial spirit: with solid business acumen highlighted through the success of their enterprise
• Innovation: within their business model / product offer / shop design
• Specialisation: with a reputation in a specific branch of optics
• Creativity: both in the products they offer and the way they practice
• Engagement: with the profession, the community, charitable endeavours and industry
• Advocacy: championing the profession of dispensing
IOA members, country members and industry partners may nominate opticians worldwide. The nominees will be contacted and asked to fill in a dossier. The dossiers will be scrutinised by a panel made up of industry experts. A shortlist of up to four people will be established and the winner will be announced during the prestigious Silmo d’Or ceremony in Paris France.
Nominations should be sent to Elaine Grisdale at email@example.com before 7 May – with a paragraph stating why the person should be considered for this coveted award taking into account the criteria above.
A shortlist will then be drawn up after approval from the IOA board and the shortlisted nominees will be contacted to fill in the final dossier for consideration by the special jury. This judging process will be completed by 15 August 2021. The winner will be announced at Silmo Paris. As well as the prestigious award, the winner will also win a trip to Silmo 2022.