Vision Aid Overseas is sponsored by ABDO.
In 2004 ABDO adopted Vision Aid Overseas as its official charity of choice.
As part of this, ABDO will be sponsoring four people each year to take part in overseas projects. This bursary paid to VAO covers the cost of the volunteer donation to VAO plus some out of pocket expenses.
If you have already been selected for a project and would like to apply for sponsorship, please write to Michelle Derbyshire at the ABDO College or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter should contain a brief professional profile, information about the project and where you will be travelling to. Most importantly, please explain why you want to go. Applications will be assessed on a regular basis and you will be informed of a decision as soon as possible
Terms and conditions for ABDO Bursary Applications:
- All applicants must be a member of the ABDO and Vision Aid Overseas.
- Applicants must satisfy the requirements for and already have been selected for a VAO project.
- Sponsorship is allocated on a named basis for a specific trip. The selection committee must be notified in writing of any change in circumstances.
- The decision of the selection committee is final. No further correspondence will be entered into.
- A bursary will not be awarded to the same applicant for two consecutive years.
- Application must be in writing, before the project, by the project volunteer.
- ABDO requires that the successful applicant complete an article about their trip on their return, for publication in the Dispensing Optics journal.
- All monies awarded to the successful applicant are for payment to Vision Aid Overseas to cover the individual’s contribution.
- Failure to complete the project will result in the successful applicant refunding the sponsorship to ABDO.